Thursday, September 13, 2007

Part of MEDicine...

1. Suturing
I was supposed to have my suturing lesson next week but I attended this week's session on Monday afternoon. At first I wasn't sure whether or not my session was last week (Week 8), so I went to the CMHSE building and checked the group allocation list. It's stated there that my session was to be in Week 10. I happily went back home coz I hadn't read the tutorial notes on suturing that time. However, on the past Monday blur me thought that my session was to be in this week (Week 9), so I read the tutorial notes beforehand and went to CMHSE after the lecture on Monday afternoon. Suddenly it flashed across my mind that my session would be in Week 10, NOT Week 9! I felt kinda frustrated, still not believing that my session was actually to be in Week 10, I went to check at the notice board. The truth was that my session was to be in Week 10. While I was wondering whether to go back to the Halls or not, Ravind called me and asked me to join his class. 'They don't really bother which session you attend, just come..' And so I joined his class instead. Turned out that the tutor teaching style was quite different to what I had accustomed to after more than half a year here...and I actually liked her way of teaching coz it's a bit of spoon-feeding (the usual Malaysian education system...) + answering some questions. I felt that I could understand better that way. She even demonstrated how to do suturing step by step and not let us absorb the whole chunk of information at a go. Lucky me to attend that class =)

2. Dissection
On Tuesday, I went for a dissection session with my anatomy tutor and two other classmates, Ravind and Bridget. We were going to dissect the gluteal region - also known as the buttock =P It's not my first time dissecting, but it's my first time dissecting with guidance from my tutor. I was quite excited because we were allowed to use the sharp 'proper' surgical dissection scalpel, so sharp that Ravind accidentally cut his finger (we were wearing gloves!) It was fine after he applied plaster, and my tutor said that usually he would wear two layers of gloves. That somehow improved my knowledge for dissection a little, not to mention my dissection skills =D

3. Site visit
This morning I had a hospital site visit at Caulfield General Medical Centre. Getting there by public transport took my classmates and I about one hour and we had to wake up early to catch the bus then the tram. Yu Wan and Yun Ying told me that the trifle at the cafe there was good and I was keen on trying it, but too bad that the trifle was actually on the special menu last week when they were there, not on the main menu itself. Anyway, we were very early for our visit, 45 minutes earlier to be precise. The weather was cold in the morning and I didn't feel like it's spring at all...but the flowers at the roadside were beautiful~ The site visit was fun as we got to examine patients (musculoskeletal examination of upper limb and lower limb, from what we have learnt during our clinical skills tutorials so far). Thank God that we have a classmate who drove us back to the Halls after the visit...in just 20 minutes!

4. Med Ball
No No I'm not going to the Med Ball this year. It's going to be held at the Royal Exhibition Building in Melbourne (the only place that can fits in 800+ people I heard) next Friday and I have heard that there's going to be a chocolate fountain (yummy!)....but too bad I'm not going. Reasons: (1) I don't have a dress and a pair of high heels. I don't feel like wasting my money (and lots of time to search for it!) to buy a dress and high heels in Melbourne city just to go to the ball. (2) My gang of friends are not going.

Well....we'll go next year, eh? And I'll remember to bring my dress and high heels from Malaysia this time...or just buy a new dress from Malaysia...(well who knows, maybe I'll spot a nice one in Melbourne city which is at a reasonable price...hehe)..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Jessica, dun forget to bring your AUSMAT shawl too... =p

*jeSSicA* said...

hey eugene! yeah, kinda forget that already. thanks for reminding! =)