Friday, March 13, 2009

Yay

Another week has passed...and it's weekend again! Hooray =D

It's the first week at our new rotation...This time I'm attached to a general med ward. As we had a long weekend last week because Monday was Labour Day, I didn't really get to see the whole med team until this morning during the ward rounds...coz we have tutes everyday afternoon, Tuesday was our first day and we only saw the interns and 5th Years; Wednesday is lecture day so no turning up at hospital; Thursday morning we have a radiology tute...so left today Friday morning! Oh and we don't have any tutes on Monday as well, so will be at the ward whole day next Monday =)


What can I say...the med team at my ward is an all-female team! We have 2 interns, 1 registrar and 1 consultant (all females...and are Asians I think). The med registrar is pretty wahahaha and she looks so young! =P And our consultant has her hair dyed red! And guess what, the first initial of both consultant and registrar is J! And I'm J as well...then I have the same surname as the pretty registrar (Okay I only noticed that when talking to the intern, actually it's the intern who said 'Oh so sisters then')...hehe~


The medical students attached to the ward include two 5th Years and us three 3rd Years (5 of us, 3 guys 2 girls). One thing I noticed about how female doctors approach patients compare to male doctors...female doctors tend to have physical contact with the patient and be at a closer distance to the patient when speaking to them...by 'physical contact' I don't mean physical examination, what I mean is that they will pat the patient's back or shoulders, or hold their arm to reassure and calm them down; and by 'closer distance' I mean they will squat down to speak to the patient sitting in a chair, or lean close to the bedframe to the patient lying in bed. I haven't seen any male doctors squat down to talk to patients (medical students do that, yes, but not doctors)....probably it'll look awkward if they do that haha

Okay, have to work hard to get the most out of this rotation...I'm starting to enjoy it =D


2 comments:

Siew Ting said...

yahaa!
im the first!!!!
seems tht u are enjoying ur ward life there ooo~~ great great!

*jeSSicA* said...

siew ting: hahaha yea yea!! let's jia you together!!