Wednesday, August 20, 2008

20082008

It's a special day...coz...

EXAM'S OVER!!!

And it's also special coz my foot improved a lot this morning =)

What happened was I fell down on Monday morning while walking from halls to uni. It was quite a shock to me coz I didn't expect that I would slip at the junction. I was walking with Chean Ying and I just fell after crossing over the 'chain-like thingy'. Immediately I felt intense pain at my right foot, and there was a bruise on my right hand. Luckily I had my friends with me who helped me. Nooi Hoay offered water to clean/wash my wound and Yun Ying put plaster on my hand. Ryan offered to carry my bag but I said that I could still hold it. It was getting late so I suggested we move on. I limped all the way to South 1 lecture theatre (which is the furthest lecture theatre from halls) and all of us were 10 minutes late for the 8am lecture. However we were lucky that the lecturer hadn't started the lecture yet. For the first half an hour of the lecture I couldn't really pay full attention because of the pain; I took off my right shoe and there was still pain. The bleeding from the wound at my hand was not much but the plaster was already full of blood.

My right foot got more painful as time passed; during PCL I was feeling not up to the mood that I did not plan to pick any task (I chose to do a role play instead so that I wouldn't have to prepare anything hehe). It was again another torture when I had to limp my way from CMHSE to South 1 lecture theatre for another lecture (even though CMHSE and South 1 lecture theatre are so near to each other). Li Ping was sitting behind me and she said, 'Hey I arrived earlier than you in this morning's lecture!' (She used to arrive late for morning lectures)...and then I explained what happened. She then asked, '你有哭吗?' I was quite startled because no one ever asked me that kind of question before. I gave her an indirect answer - I didn't cry, but the pain was so intense while walking to uni that I held back my tears.

By lunch time the pain was quite unbearable that I had to take the lift to go up to first floor of campus centre instead of taking the stairs. I couldn't sit on the floor at 'airport lounge' so I went into the dining room with Nooi Hoay. Li Ping was buying lunch at Grain Express and she came and said, '你看起来很难过eh……不要酱难过嘞' and gave me a pat on my shoulder. I was like, awww...did I look that sad? Perhaps it was due to the pain that I no longer carry the smile on my face like I used to...

Everyone was asking me what happened to my leg. I kept telling Chean Ying that I didn't quite understand why did I fell (it happened in such a split second). Yun Ying and Ryan suggested me to go to the Monash University Health Service to see the doctor, which I hesitated at first (luckily they forced me to go in the end). I was walking very slowly from the lift to the Health Service at ground floor of campus centre with Yun Ying accompanying me. Yu Wan and Ryan took the stairs and we met at the Health Service. As we were queueing up someone patted me from behind - I was surprised to see Li Ping standing behind me (because I thought she was eating her lunch at a very much slower pace than usual LOL). There were only 10 minutes left to the next lecture at 12pm. After a few minutes queueing I went in to see a nurse who helped to clean my wound and put ice pack on my foot. Yu Wan then called to tell me that they would be going to the lecture first (carrying my stuff there). 10 minutes or so later a doctor came to check my range of motion and then told the nurse to put bandage on my foot - she helped me to put on my socks and shoes after that, to which I felt quite embarrased because I couldn't do it due to the pain. When I walked out of campus centre it was already about 12.40pm and I didn't feel like limping all the way to the lecture theatre again, so I went straight away to the venue for the next lecture. I felt that somehow the bandage made my walking worse =/ It's a terrible day, I thought, what a day to start the week.




The water-proof 'plaster'




It was rural briefing after that, and when we had to walk to the other corner of the lecture theatre to sign some form. Grace and Adilah helped to bring the form to my seat for me to sign (suddenly I felt that I was like a VIP hehe). We then discussed about taking the V-Line train to go to our rural placement and how would I be able to move about with the condition of my leg. Luckily (and much to our relief) that a girl came up to us and offered to drive us there because she had enough seats in her car. I felt so thankful =)

I didn't feel like walking all the way to the Histology lab for practical/Histology lecture after that. I even asked Daniel to wait for me as he was driving back to halls - but after asking whether the Histology practical was worth my time to go (we had exam coming up and most people would rather spend the time studying previous weeks' stuff), I told him to go back first while I continued discussing/making decision whether to go or not with Sheryl, Lin, Karolina and Ryan. We spent like 10 minutes to make the decision of not going =.= Sheryl then drove us back to halls - she also lent me her analgesic cream for my foot =)

Li Ping called me to ask how did the doctor's appointment go. 'So you are, like, immobile now?' She asked. 'Yeah...immobile.' Hmmm. Ryan helped me to walk up the stairs to my room. I told my parents what happened to me in the morning and they replied with lots of advices on how to massage the foot with oil, asked me how's the injury like etc. I took off the bandage from my foot and only realised that there was swelling =( and the pain! After applying analgesic cream, I 'elevated' my foot on my bed (the nurse advised me to keep my foot elevated) and continued studying for the exam.






By evening I realised that I could no longer walk properly and I could only hop around to get to places I wanted to. I had trouble going to the toilet and the kitchen which were only a few steps away from my room! =( I never knew that the situation could get that serious! I then realised I needed a crutch - but where to get one at that hour?? I was feeling terrible but there was nothing I could do. I asked around and got to know from Hashrul that I could borrow a crutch from the Monash Pharmacy. Hmmm...nobody's going to uni on Tuesday, so I could only get a crutch on Wednesday, after the exam, I thought. Ryan and Yun Ying had to bring dinner to my room (we usually have dinner upstairs). '你很大牌,' Yun Ying said jokingly. Yeah, I said, it's like hotel service =P I called my dad at night to talk about my injury. I was so very surprised when Siew Ting called me at around 12am!!! All the way from Malaysia! '哇,我脚受伤你就会打电话来哦……' Felt so touched =) [You rarely get international calls when you are overseas....]

The next day (yesterday) I didn't go for my community placement. Didn't sleep well the previous night. I woke up and spent 45 minutes just going to toilet then to the kitchen to prepare and have breakfast. I hopped along the corridors with my left leg. Yun Ying came to help me prepare lunch. Spent the whole day studying. Called Kaiwen to help me to walk to the exam venue the next day, and Daniel to give me a lift to uni. When it was dinner time I had dinner delivered to my room again =) Was really hoping to get a crutch after the exam next day.

Today when I woke up, I realised that I could walk better....and with less pain!! Felt very happy. Daniel and Yeu Sheng walked me to the Histology lab for the exam (theirs was at Engineering Halls). Apparently Kaiwen didn't see us walk past her room in the morning so she didn't join us in the car ride =.= But I could walk without much help anyway =) After the exam Ivie walked me to campus centre, and just then I decided that I wouldn't need a crutch anymore! So I ended up not using a crutch after suffering from pain for 2 days. I still walk slowly and with slight limp now, but there is not much pain anymore. Thank God =)

Went to Pinewood with Yu Wan, Ivie, Li Ping, Adilah, Grace and Ravind to have ice cream. Planned to watch a movie but the next screening was around 6pm (about 1.5 hours away) so we left. Yu Wan came to my room and we chat till dinner time. I could walk upstairs and have dinner now! =D



Thank you everyone who have offered a helping hand (cooking and bringing me dinners, helping me carry stuff etc etc), thank you for those who have showed concern and care, and thank you for the prayers... Really appreciate everything ^_^

5 comments:

Chien said...

Chien chien been here to check out your condition =)

erm... Panadol ? lol :P

yeuyeu said...

Get well soon =) Had enough VIP room service already...haha!

Li Ping =) said...

aiyo...i was eating vr slow that day coz the person who served me was very generous with the food that day!
吃到我心有余而力不足啊!

Li Ping =) said...

aiyo...i was eating vr slow that day coz the person who served me was very generous with the food that day!
吃到我心有余而力不足啊!

*jeSSicA* said...

chien: panadol? lol not enough i guess...but i din take any la. never thought of taking panadol also

yeuyeu: haha feels great to be served as VIP =P

li ping: OoooOooooOoo really....hahaha