Monday, September 11, 2006

t o u c h e d

Cheah Yen is so bad. She made me nearly cry last night. Her story, real life story which she told Amelene and I made me feel so touched and tears started to roll in my eyes.

It’s about her story of sending her best friend Lin Foong off to Ireland to further her studies last Friday. She has known her for 8 years, and as she talked about Lin Foong, ‘Whatever things that we can do together, crazy things or funny things, we had already done all…’

Since she came back from KLIA that night, her eyes had been red due to non-stop crying. She cried again yesterday noon when the rest 3 of us in the house went for lunch while she was alone at home. We knew that she was sad and didn’t dare to ask much about what happened in KLIA. However, last night about a few minutes past midnight, she spoke about how she sent Lin Foong off. ‘You guys wanna hear story or not?’ Amelene was preparing to go to bed while I was playing games on my graphic calculator. ‘I want,’ I said. ‘Into your room then,’ was what she replied. And so I sat on my bed, half concentrating on my game while Amelene lied on the bed and Cheah Yen sat by her side, beginning to tell us her experience of sending Lin Foong off.

At 6.30pm while she was in the train, she called Lin Foong and asked about the time she would reach KLIA and what time would the plane depart etc (something like that, but then Lin Foong didn’t know that she was on the way to KLIA). At 7 something she called her again, asking her where she was…Lin Foong said that she was busy with her luggage and that she would call her again, but Cheah Yen told her that she was at KLIA already. And somehow at 7.45pm they decided on a place to meet as KLIA is such a big place. So they met, together with Lin Foong were her parents and an uncle. Cheah Yen described about how cool Lin Foong’s father had been by making jokes and how she helped Lin Foong with her luggage while they walked towards the departure hall. I remember the part she mentioned about Lin Foong wanting to put a book inside her luggage, so she took out her bras from the luggage…and Lin Foong’s father was holding one of them, saying something like ‘Aiyo faster keep in la, where got people take out bra (from luggage) in airport one…’ hahaha…Cheah Yen also told us that Lin Foong’s dad was wearing a jacket with the word ‘Mandung’ behind, the name of a place I guess, and then he walked in front while Lin Foong pushed her trolley with Cheah Yen accompanying her. He turned his head and pointed towards the word of his jacket and said to them, ‘Come come follow me…follow Mandung!!!’

Before going in the departure hall, Cheah Yen kissed Lin Foong on her cheek and Lin Foong kissed her back, and Lin Foong’s parents hugged and kissed her goodbye. When Cheah Yen talked about the part where Lin Foong went in, through the security check and up to the escalator, and how she and Lin Foong’s parents looked on and felt so sad, I could not bear it anymore as I felt a sudden sadness and tears started accumulating in my eyes. I didn’t know why but it just made me feel so touched. Amelene asked, ‘Did Lin Foong cry? How about her parents?’ ‘She’s brave, she didn’t cry but I saw her rubbing her eyes. Her father didn’t but then I saw him rubbing his eyes too while closing the car’s boot.’ Then Cheah Yen asked us, ‘So, what do you all think?’ All I told her was, ‘I dunno, but I feel like crying!!!’ Amelene said, ‘Yeah, I feel like crying too…’ I went out of the room to the kitchen sink to wash my face and brush my teeth, but the words and the imagination of the atmosphere and emotions while they sent Lin Foong off kept appearing in my mind, and tears started falling again…

‘You’re so bad, you make me cry…’ I told Cheah Yen. ‘I’m about to recover from my flu and now you make me cry…’ Cheah Yen replied, ‘Well then you know how bad Lin Foong is then!!! How sad I was!!!’ Hmmm…


(I just remember bits of here and there of her story...)

No comments: